Hey there! This week, I am going to chat you through the successful brewing experience I had recently. After the last experience, I really tightened up what I was doing, and was a little more cautious through the experience. I just want to talk you through some of the things I changed this time around, to make it a decent tasting beer.
This time, I decided to make a Nut Brown Ale, which is a very simple beer to make. One of the first things I did to make this batch more successful, was to get a smaller kettle and fermentor. Since I have been mainly making 1 galloon batches of beer, I wanted to get some 1 galloon equipment, to make my life a little easier. They were not very expensive, so I was glad to order those for the next set up. This really helped when it came time to transfer my wort to the fermentor, since I have a massive siphon. That way, the siphon can have more liquid to work with in a smaller kettle.
This time, I made sure I had the exact temperature of water before I put my mash in it. I even had to switch burners, since the bigger burners on my electric oven run too hot. I also added the hops separate from the malt, which did seem to make a difference. Also, 15 minutes before it was finished, I added Irish Moss, which really helps with clarity.
I knew as soon as I was prepping it to be chilled that I had way more beer than I had the last time. I still had to convert it to the bigger kettle in order to use my wort chiller, but the also got ride of all of the extra gunk at the bottom of the other kettle. While chilling the wort, I actually prepped the yeast, by heating it up and letting it settle. I am not sure if this helped any, but it was supposed to activate it, before adding it to the beer. I got a pretty full galloon of beer, so I was already feeling very successful.
When bottling day came around, I was very excited to see my final product, and be able to give it a small taste test before letting it sit for another two weeks. I was very pleased to get 7 bottles, since that was way better than the last time I did it, and the beer itself was very clear. I even tried it, and actually enjoyed how it tasted.
I was very pumped for the two weeks to go by, so I could try my finished product. The beer was actually pretty tasty! It does have a strange floral taste to it, but that is normal for the extract kits that I buy. The beer was very carbonated, and it was actually pretty clear. You can not see straight through it, but it is still a good start. I had some friends try it and say that it was good as well!
This time around, I was super successful with my brewing process. Hopefully this next time, I can get even better beer made, and have a consistently good stock of home brewed beer at my place! I hope you really enjoyed my blog post this week. Let me know if you have ever home brewed your own beer or wine, and how it may have turned out. I hope you have a great week, and I hope you join me next MONDAY (since Sunday is Easter) for another post.